St Charles, MO asked in Family Law for Missouri

Q: I need to respond to a custody modification by today. How do I do it? Do I need a form or can it be just typed on paper?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth J. Geniuk
Kenneth J. Geniuk
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Most local court rules will require you to type your response to the modification petition. Generally you will go through each of the allegations contained in the motion to modify, and you will either admit or deny the allegations. You can admit part of an allegation, and deny the rest, but you must be specific. After you have answered each of the allegations, you will need to sign your response and have it notarized, then file it with the court.

If you did not file it on time, or if you want to change your responses, you should consider hiring a lawyer, as there are ways to file a response late, and there are ways to amend your response, but it requires permission from the court to do so.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.