Osceola, MO asked in Family Law for Missouri

Q: How do i contempt of court charges against my ex husband on money he owes me and titles he has not signed as ordered

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth J. Geniuk
Kenneth J. Geniuk
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: The first thing to do is check your court orders to see if the money he owes you was ordered to be paid, or whether it was in the nature of a judgment in your favor. If it was only a judgment, then you will need to garnish his wages, as a contempt remedy will probably not be available. Same thing with the titles he is supposed to sign; you need to check and make sure that he is in violation of actual orders from the court.

Assuming he IS in violation of court orders, you will need to prepare a Motion for Order to Appear and Show Cause (more commonly referred to as a motion for contempt). In that document, you will be asking the Court to order your ex husband to appear and show cause as to why he should not be held in contempt of court.

You will probably want to get an attorney to help you with this, as you will need to file not just the motion itself, but also an affidavit or verification page, as well as a proposed order, and a request for service.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.