Sterling, IL asked in Tax Law for Illinois

Q: My husband is a senior citizen and we have delinquent property taxes We can not afford to pay them.

Are there any programs that will provide financial assistance with the delinquent taxes so we do not become homeless?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Judi Smith
Judi Smith
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Peoria, AZ
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You may be eligible for the Senior Citizens Real estate Tax Deferral Program. Essentially the state pays the taxes on the home and then requires repayment of the taxes when the home is sold or transferred. However, to qualify for the program, you will need to find a way to bring your property taxes current before you can apply to the program. Once you are in the program, the state will pay your taxes using the equity in your home as a guarantee. You can find out more about it here: Note that the program is available throughout Illinois.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.