Asked in Consumer Law for Nebraska

Q: I paid a restoration company to do work after smoke dmg- they did poor work; I short paid them, am i liable for the diff

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan P. Sullivan
Ryan P. Sullivan
  • Lincoln, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: The restoration company may file a lien on your property or may take you to court to recovery the balance due. You will have the opportunity to present evidence showing that the amount paid was satisfactory for the amount and quality of the work performed. In sum, they may sue you for the difference, but you may not have to pay it if you can show the court that you have paid them in full for the work actually performed. Further, you may be able to assert a counter-claim for breach of contract or other damages if you in fact "over-paid" them for the work performed, or if they failed to perform the work as agreed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.