Greene, MO asked in Estate Planning for Missouri

Q: Can a will that was never revoked be ruled valid for property that was quit claim deeded 2 years after said will?

My parents changed their minds 2 years after willing some land to a grandson (for good reason)& quit claim deeded it to me to keep it in the family name. Now both my folks are deceased & said grandson is suing for the land via a supposed oral contract of minor farm work done. Does he have any chance of success?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Donald Joseph Quinn
Donald Joseph Quinn
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You need to retain counsel to look at all the facts. In Missouri, a will is only effective on the date of death (testamentary) over property left in the decedent's name alone on the date of death. Arguably if the parents quit claimed it to you they didn't mean to leave it subject to the will. The question is what is the nature of the "oral contract"?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.