Moab, UT asked in Collections for Utah

Q: Should I take this to court or sign a stiputlation of judgement

I have been summoned on an outstanding debt. The summons references an agreement but does not include it as an exhibit. The debt was purchased from HSBC and I do not have any details on that transaction either. If I file an answer that denies all the complaint, can the plantiff come up with more exhibits prior to trial? Like the agreement? I don't deny the debt, but I would like a better chance at negotiating the balance.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jefferson S Cannon
Jefferson S Cannon
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Sandy, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Yes the Plaintiff would have an opportunity to bring in the agreement at a later date. With this being said, if you want to settle the debt, you should contact the attorney's office and make a settlement offer. Most Plaintiff's/Creditors are more than willing to try and work out settlement arrangements right now. Especially on sold debt.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.