Conway, AR asked in Estate Planning for Arkansas

Q: My Mom die she has no will how doe the law in arkansas work for this? there is me sis and half bro. he has a child?

My half Bro. is dead.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Fahr
Robert Fahr
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Conway, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: If a person dies with no Will and has assets in Arkansas then those assets would be subject to division according to Arkansas law. In general the assets would be divided between the person's children and the person's spouse. Unless a step-child is adopted by the person, they are usually not considered a child of the person. But there are many exceptions in the law and I would need more facts to provide a accurate answer. This is a general answer, not legal advice, and may not apply to your specific situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.