Jonesboro, AR asked in Probate for Arkansas

Q: My aunt passed away in Jonesboro recently. Will her will be putlic record? If so, where?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Fahr
Robert Fahr
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Conway, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: In Arkansas, if a probate is filed then all documents filed in the probate, including a Will, will be publicly available from the county clerk. By law if there are over $100,000 in assets in a probate estate then a probate must be filed. If the probate estate is smaller then a probate may not be required but may still be necessary in order to validate a Will and/or distribute certain types of assets.

Assets which typically are in the probate estate and may require probate to transfer include: financial accounts with no beneficiary or payable/transfer-on-death designation, vehicles titled in the decedent name, or real property without a survivorship rights.

Assets which typically are not in the probate estate, and therefore transfer outside of probate include: life insurance, and retirements accounts with beneficiary designations, financial accounts with payable/transfer-on-death designations, assets that are transferred to a revocable living trust, assets which are held jointly with survivorship, such as marital property, and joint financial accounts.

If you may be entitled to a distribution from your aunt's estate, or if your aunt owed you money at her death then you may have standing to file a probate yourself. Contested probates can be very expensive so you should consult an Arkansas attorney knowledgeable in probate law before taking any action.

This is a general answer, not legal advice, and may not apply to your specific situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.