Rochester, NY asked in Family Law for New York

Q: I am 25, my girlfriend is 17. I have my own apartment. Is she able to run away, TO me legally? Will she be forced home?

What are our options to remove her LEGALLY from an abusive home (abusive physically/ mentally/ verbally/ emotionally (verifiable)), and get her LEGALLY placed permanently in my own home which is clean, bills paid, etc..?

She will be 18 in april. She is in danger at her current legal residence. That can't happen. Not on my watch. What can we/I do legally?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mary Katherine Brown
Mary Katherine Brown
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: It is hard to answer your question because in New York, the age of consent is 17, but the age of majority is 21, and an otherwise competent 18 year old is considered legally responsible. She can become "emancipated" prior to age 18, which means she is no longer in the custody and control of her parents, but there is no specific "process" for that; however, New York Law recognizes the status of emancipation and the rights of emancipated minors. To determine whether a young person is emancipated, the following factors are critical:

The youth must be living apart from his/her parents;

The youth must be self supporting (may be receiving public benefits or child support if required by court order);

The youth is not in need/receipt of foster care;

The youth is living beyond the custody and control of the parent;

The youth is over the age of 16.

You can browse around the following website for more information:

Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.