Woodville, WI asked in Immigration Law for Wisconsin

Q: After finalization of wisconsin divorce, must I wait 6 months to start filing my fiance visa to bring my fiance here?

I am currently pregnant by my fiance and it is not my soon to be ex husbands child. And does the law change at all if we marry in Jamaica as far as what will be viewed as a legal marriage considering the 6 month waiting period

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lisa Ellen Seifert
Lisa Ellen Seifert
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Olympia, WA

A: The 6 month period might be a Wisconsin law? You can marry whenever, according to the law where you got your divorce, that your divorce is considered final, and you have a decree of divorce. I do not know the law in that state. If you are free to marry, then you can make a petition for your fiance, if he is not here. You do not need to marry if you use the fiance visa. You should read more about this kind of visa, and consult with an experienced immigration in your area, so that you have the right information before making any decisions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.