Provo, UT asked in Criminal Law for Utah

Q: Do I u need an atty to fight charges including drugs when there has been a past? Can it be fought with public defender?

Charges include Charge1- 58-37-8(1)(A)(III), Charge2-58-37-(2)(D), Charge 3- 76-10-503(3)(A), Charge4- 58-37A-5(1), Charge 5- 76-8-305. My friend does have a past but has completed drug treatment programs and has always followed the ruled of his probation. The case sounds bad but he had only relapse for a few weeks. I would like to see him go back into a treatment program and counseling to learn coping skills instead of serving time. What do you think the likely hood of getting that would be?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Russell Pietryga
Russell Pietryga
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: It is wise to have an attorney anytime you are charged with a crime. If your friend cannot afford an attorney the court will appoint an attorney to represent him. A public defender is an attorney and they can represent(i.e., fight for)your friend.

The sooner your friend requests a public defender or hires an attorney the better. There are a lot of things an attorney can do for your friend. The sooner they get started the better.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.