Salt Lake City, UT asked in Divorce for Utah

Q: Is my former spouse required to help with school registration fees in addition to child support?

We've been divorced for 18 months and I didn't think of this originally so it's not in the divorce decree. He does pay the court ordered child support but refuses to help with the annual registration fees in public school. I have 2 kids in high school and 2 kids in elementary. The HS fees are close to $500 every year but he won't help. He says it's covered in the child support.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael B. Ipson
Michael B. Ipson
  • Taylorsville, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: The divorce decree is what is controlling in these situations. If it is not included in the decree then you would need to petition to modify in order to get it added. If it is included you would need to file an order to show cause. There very well may be some language in the decree stating that school expenses will be divided evenly but without looking I can't say. If you had an attorney represent you I would contact them for a clearer answer this question.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.