Eugene, OR asked in Family Law for Oregon

Q: What should I bring to court to fight a post judgement status quo

My ex wife filed it because I took my child out of the daycare we used because I no longer needed it. We home school him now because it was technically a private school

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Matthew Abts
Matthew Abts

A: Dear Questioner,

You're going to need to show that what you're doing is in the best interest of the child. This means presenting evidence to the court. A third-party neutral witness would be best, such as a teacher or someone else who can tell why your new situation is better.

If it's an issue with money & private school tuition fees, you'll need to show the court how your financial situation is changed and why you can no longer do things the way you were (lost your job, etc . . .).

I'd really recommend you hire a family law attorney.

Take care,


Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei
  • Beaverton, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: In Oregon, the only issue at a hearing for a status quo order is the child's usual residence and contacts with each parent for the 90 days immediately preceding the filing of the motion. You therefore need proof of the child's schedule and contacts with each parent during that time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.