Siloam Springs, AR asked in Family Law for Arkansas

Q: If you are 16 and pregnant can you move out with the father?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kathryn L Hudson
Kathryn L Hudson
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: Unless you are legally emancipated from your parents or married, which requires parental consent, your parents are still your guardians and can enlist law enforcement or the courts to help them if they feel you are acting against your best interests. To be emancipated you have to file a petition with the court and serve notice on your parents, the court will want to see that you have a way of supporting yourself and a secure and safe place to live. Even with emancipation you will still be required to attend school. Have you discussed marrying the baby's father, if so your parents may consent to marriage.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.