New York, NY asked in Immigration Law for New York

Q: Does my husband need to file a overstay waiver for me?

I came to the US from Sweden in december 2010 on a 3 month tourist visa.Im not sure if I came with a I-94 or if I used ESTA. But if I had a I-94 they took it and kept it when they inspected me at the border.I overstayed my visa with 5 months and then got married. Me and my husband are now in the process to file the papers for a greencard. I wonder if my husband need to file a waiver for me because I overstayed my visa before we got married?And also if I dont have an I-94, what do I write on the I-485 when they ask for my I-94 number?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Susan Beth Henner
Susan Beth Henner
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • White Plains, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If you entered with a visa waiver and are married to a citizen you can apply for adjustment of status and a visa. You need not file a special waiver form for this type of case. You may obtain a copy of the I-94 card you used to enter by filing Forn I-102 with the USCIS and providing the date of entry etc on the forms.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.