Indianapolis, IN asked in Adoption for Indiana

Q: My cousin adopted her grandkids last yr. She can't care for them now. How can I go about adopting them?

My cousin adopted her 4 grandkids last year (all in elementary school). Due to some unforeseen reasons, she is no longer able to care for them. What steps do I need to take in order to adopt these kids? Their biological parents gave up their rights and my cousin adopted these children by going to court. Since she can no longer care for these children, besides getting a lawyer, what will I need to do to adopt them? Just wanted to know what steps I will need to take. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr Jeffrey D Heck
Mr Jeffrey D Heck
  • Carmel, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: The most involved step is that you need a social worker to produce a home study report. This can be done through most adoption agencies. This report is intended to demonstrate to the judge that you are financially, physically, psychologically, and legally able to adopt. With this report in hand, most of the rest of the work is done by the lawyer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.