Mercersburg, PA asked in Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: What are the laws now?

My neighbor who is 52 said when she was 16 she left home to live with a friend and her mother tried to get the police to bring her back but they said since she was 16 they couldn't do anything about it. Is the law the same now? If I go to school in the area that I will be living in (Chambersburg, PA) will that be legal? My friend Heather is 27 and she has a daughter, age 4 who I absolutely love, and Heather said that if I stayed in school there I could move in with her. If this isn't legal just to do it any more, what requirements must we meet?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mariah Balling-Peck
Mariah Balling-Peck
  • Uniontown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: A child can become emancipated in Pennsylvania with parental consent. Check with your local orphans' court for specific requirements and forms. You may also want to contact an attorney in your area.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.