Quarryville, PA asked in Divorce for Pennsylvania

Q: I been married 5 years, can she get alimony? I have a house only in my name, can she get any of this.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mariah Balling-Peck
Mariah Balling-Peck
  • Uniontown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Yes, she could get alimony depending on variables such as your income and her income. For example, if your income is exorbitantly higher than hers, she could file for what's known in PA as Alimony Pendente Lite - or alimony pending litigation. This is very common where a woman has stayed at home and raised children or worked only part time. She may be unable to financially support herself through the divorce process. PA provides for this avenue so that the spouse can maintain their standard of living while the divorce process is going on. There are cases when alimony can cease once the divorce finalizes. There are also cases where a Master may be involved - or court - and award ongoing alimony to a spouse to afford them the opportunity to become self-sufficient. Every circumstance is unique and there is so much volatility in the economy with job losses, that it is hard to know what amounts you could pay. For example, even a man on unemployment can be forced to pay alimony pendente lite to his spouse during the pending divorce litigation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.