Nevada, IA asked in Bankruptcy for Iowa

Q: I am 53 lost my job and was forced to use my credit card to pay bills and maxed out can I claim bankruptcy?

I let a man move in with me cause he had nothing. Found out that he is a registered sex offender and I had no idea! He also used my card and put lots of charges on it. I kicked him out after 4 yrs and somehow he found out that the card was maxed out he called them and took his name off of the "my" account. I don't have any money for an attorney or my bills yet but don't want to get stuck with a 14,000 bill to pay back. I almost never used my credit card until this man moved in. Then it seemed to be all the time. He didn't care cause he used all my savings to pay his big debts and now has great credit while I have none. I worked hard all my life to have something and he managed to use me to better himself and then on to the next woman. What do I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew Bresalier
Andrew Bresalier

A: Q: Do i need to file bankruptcy? i hav 12000 in over due dept and just had my bank account frozen,

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy Law for Iowa on Mar 17, 2013.

You can follow answers to this question by subscribing by e-mail or RSSShare |

More Information:

I can not come up with the 3000 plus dollars the company wants to unfreeze my bank account, they will not work with me at all, i also have a consideral amount of court fines that i have been paying off, so i dont get in trouble with the law

..Answer this Question Report Question

Answer: * I have read and agree to comply with Justia Terms of Use.

Report ProblemPlease indicate the Type of Problem: Profanity Adult Content Spam Miscategorized Comments:

Answers (1)

Andrew Bresalier

Answered 18 Seconds Ago

Debt is not the only thing to look at when considering Bky. Income must be examined to confirm you pass the Means Test (income is compared to those in your community). You must also examine transfers/sales (court could reverse transfers or sales for less than market value) and exemptions (you could lose personal property such as a car). Most attorneys provide a free initial consult and discuss these matters, along with the best chapter for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.