Belleville, IL asked in Military Law for Illinois

Q: Can military retirement benefits be taken away after serving twenty plus years and receiving an honorable discharge

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Timothy J. Deffet
Timothy J. Deffet
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: I am sorry to hear that your benefits were terminated. I do not practice in thus type of law but my alma mater, The John Marshall Law School, has a Veteran's Legal Support Center, where you may be able to get free advice on veteran's benefits issues. Contact:

Joseph R. Butler

Assistant Professor

Co-Executive Director, Veterans Legal Support Center & Clinic

The John Marshall Law School

315 South Plymouth Court

Chicago, Illinois 60604

Phone: 312.427.2737 ext. 360


BA, Eastern Illinois University

JD, The John Marshall Law School

Scholarship | Presentations

Philip D. Cave
Philip D. Cave pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Washington, DC

A: A very imprecise question.

Where you retired, and got a DD214 with an HD. If so, the only way that normally you lose retirement is if you are recalled to active duty for the purpose of prosecution at court-martial for conduct which happened while you were on active duty.

Can a divorce court award a portion of military retirement to a spouse-- yes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.