Salt Lake City, UT asked in Adoption for Utah

Q: In Utah, how do I adopt my wife's 3-year-old who has been under my care for 2 yrs? Biological father has done nothing since child was 6-months-old

My wife and I have been married for 1 year and 6 months. She and her ex-husband had a child, but got divorced.

They separated when their daughter was maybe 6 months-old.

I have been providing for the child ever since. We got married after she was divorced.

I am in the Marines, have helped since she was 6 months-old, and now she is now 3.

The biological father has not provided anything for the child, nor has he made any attempt to contact the child.

According to their divorce court papers he has to contact a third party in order to attempt to see the child, but no attempt has been made to do so EVER.

I provide care, needs, health as if she was my own biological daughter.

How do I legally adopt this child?

The child's father was difficult to work with during the divorce process, and will be for any child custody battle. But he has done nothing in this child's life.

My wife, the child's mother, now has custody of the child and lives with us.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jason F. Barnes
Jason F. Barnes
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Kaysville, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: The question is very fact dependent. I suggest that you call my office so we can discuss this matter in detail. Because of the nature of the question, I will have to make sure that I do not have conflict of interest.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.