Brownsburg, IN asked in Collections for Indiana

Q: I need a form to respond to a summons in a debt collection case. Where can I find it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Coe
Timothy Coe
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Westfield, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Along with the summons should have been a "Complaint" to respond to the complaint you need to file an answer. These are very simple to do. Simply copy the heading on the complaint until it gets down to the word "complaint" in stead of complaint you type in "answer" then you respond to each of the numbered paragraphs by either admitting to the allegations or denying the allegations. This part is where attorneys are worth employing because even if there are true statements in the allegations you may want to deny that allegation in order to make the collector prove it. If there is still time you should consider contacting an attorney for help with this case. You can of course contact me, but the cost of an attorney might not be worth it if the amount of the debt is small.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.