Draper, UT asked in Collections for Utah

Q: Can I file a request to work with the landlord/apartment complex only and not their collection attorney?

Had a default judgement against me for rent owed after eviction. Hearing is set to answer questions about my assets. I want to settle the debt w/the apartment complex, not their collection attorney. Does the FDCPA cover this issue and allow me to submit in writing that I will only deal w/the original creditor and not the collection attorney in this matter?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jefferson S Cannon
Jefferson S Cannon
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Sandy, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: You cannot obligate the creditor to not use an attorney. It is one of their rights. The attorney office will handle the collection of the debt unless the client decides to withdraw the file.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.