Pennsylvania, PA asked in Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Can I ask for a termination of parental rights?

I would like to request a termination of parental rights for my ex-husband. He has never once taken care of the child since the day the child was born. I was literally a single mother "with a husband." According to him, he cannot stand his child & doesn't want to be anywhere near him. The child wants nothing to do with the father & also doesn't want to be anywhere near him. Can I ask for a termination of rights? Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Allison D. Gaffen
Allison D. Gaffen
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: The Pennsylvania law that has the grounds for involuntarily termination of parental rights can be found here:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.