Wantagh, NY asked in Immigration Law for New York

Q: If I was molested in my home country numerous times when I was a kid, will the U.S. let me stay here after I graduate?

I am an international student from India who has been living in states for 3+ years now. I graduated with my associates in human services and now i am pursuing my bachelors in social work. My question is that i was molested numerous times when i was a kid that was a big reason i decided to move to America when i was 18 for my further education but i never told my parents that i ever went through this. Now, my parents are facing financial problems and are asking me to come back to India and the thought of going back effects me psychologically. The relatives who destroyed my childhood still live in India and i see them whenever i visit my parents. When i picture myself living around them i don't feel normal, i feel dirty and less worthy. Is there any way that i can appeal to government of united states to let me stay here, is there anyway i can seek help and avoid to re live the moments of my childhood. An honest answers will be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Raymond  Lahoud
Raymond Lahoud
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Allentown, PA
  • Licensed in New York

A: You may have an asylum/withholding/cat case - even a possible humanitarian asylum case. Please contact my office asap to discuss in more detail.

-- Raymond Lahoud, New York Immigration & Deportation Attorney

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.