Dearborn, MI asked in Divorce for Michigan

Q: My ex husband is not paying me what the judge declared

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Ann Arbor, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You may be able to get help from your county's Friend of the Court (FOC) unless you opted out of Friend of the Court services. You should call them and tell them that you husband is not paying the child support or spousal support that was ordered by the judge. FOC has some very powerful tools to use to get people to pay. For example, FOC may be able to get a judge to issue an arrest warrant for someone who is not paying support that the court ordered. FOC may also be able to capture the person's tax refund or get their driver's license suspended. If you opted out of FOC services, you may be able to opt back in. You may need to get an attorney if you opted out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.