Is an attorney necessary for voluntary termination of parental rights in Tennessee?

You can follow answers to this question by subscribing by e-mail.

Answer this Question

Kimberly K. Schreiber

Answered 2 years ago

If you are giving up all rights, the opposing attorney has likely drafted all the documents and you don't need an attorney. If someone is giving you the child you definitely need an attorney with experience in that area of the law. Mistakes on those documents could cause them to be void and result in the parent coming back for rights in the future.