Pittsburgh, PA asked in Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Can one parent restrict who a child sees?

If the parents are separated with equal custody (haven't ever been in court), and one parent has a list of people they do not like that happen to be the other parent's friends, can the first parent tell the second parent that the child is not allowed around those people? (The dislike is personal and has nothing to do with their interactions or histories with the child, or any child).

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Eric Michael Gibson
Eric Michael Gibson
  • Lancaster, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If there isn't a court order than the short answer is no. However there is nothing preventing either parent from withholding custody or altering the custody arrangement either.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.