Hartland, VT asked in Tax Law for Vermont

Q: Where should I go to find old W2s from 2002, 2001, 2002?

I used to live in VA. The State of VA contacted my current employer in 2011 and attempted to garnish my wages. They claim that I never had state taxes with held for the years 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2004 and that I owed them $ 6,252.69 in back taxes, interest, and penalties.

VA never once contacted me personally. The only way I found out about the situation and garnishment was through my Controller at work. They had a mailing address for a place that I had never lived. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't find me in 11 years. I was able to contact a tax advocate and have the garnishment suspended until I could get my information.

I was able to obtain my information for 2003 (from the IRS) and 2004 (from H&R Block). However, the IRS has said that they don't keep information prior to 2002.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zaher Fallahi
Zaher Fallahi
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA

A: That may be really tough. Try the employer first for the W-2. Alternatively, ask them to reconstruct the W-2 equivalent from their information or use their best estimate. Are you sure you were even employed then? Consult a tax attorney for more advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.