Oxford Charter Township, MI asked in Divorce for Michigan

Q: Can a divorce agreement be amended? I agreed to get medical thru my employer lost my job no longer have insurance

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Ann Arbor, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You say "divorce agreement." I assume you mean a Judgment of Divorce. It may be possible to get the Judgment of Divorce amended. How difficult this will be depends on whether your ex-spouse agrees to amend the Judgment of Divorce. If s/he does not agree, it may be difficult. It also depends on the language in the judgment. It sounds like you may be seeking to have him/her pay for your health insurance because you lost your coverage. This will be considered spousal support. Your Judgment of Divorce may include language that says spousal support is "forever barred." In this case, it will probably be very difficult to get the court to give you spousal support. You should consult with the attorney who handled your divorce.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.