Roseville, MI asked in Divorce for Michigan

Q: How do i go about getting my marriage anulled i have only been married for two months

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Ann Arbor, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: In Michigan, there are specific grounds for annulment. There are two sets of marriages that can be annulled in Michigan: those that are "void" and those that are "voidable." Marriages that are void are those that are illegal: the parties are related or one/both are already married to someone else. Marriages that are voidable are those that involve fraud or duress; one/both are too young under the law; one/both are incapable of consenting to being married (i.e., mentally incompetent). To get an annulment, the party seeking annulment must prove to the court that there are proper grounds for annulment. Under an annulment, the law considers the parties to have never been married. Contrast this to a divorce. To get divorced, neither party must prove any grounds for divorce because Michigan is a "no fault" divorce state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.