Romeo, MI asked in Criminal Law for Michigan

Q: If someone offered me money for sexual favors and i blackmailed them for money is that illegal

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
  • Haslett, MI

A: In Michigan the offense is called extortion, but the answer is yes. MCL 750.213 states: Any person who shall, either orally or by a written or printed communication, maliciously threaten to accuse another of any crime or offense, or shall orally or by any written or printed communication maliciously threaten any injury to the person or property or mother, father, husband, wife or child of another with intent thereby to extort money or any pecuniary advantage whatever, or with intent to compel the person so threatened to do or refrain from doing any act against his will, shall be guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment in the state prison not more than 20 years or by a fine of not more than 10,000 dollars.

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Ann Arbor, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Yes. What you did is illegal. It is a crime called "extortion." This crime is a felony. That means it's the most serious type of crime and carries a severe punishment. If you are prosecuted and convicted you may received up to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000. It is never right to commit a crime, but remember that to be prosecuted for the crime you described, someone (most likely the person who propositioned you) would have to report you to the police.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.