Sturgis, MI asked in Divorce for Michigan

Q: My exwife is intentionally delaying signing off the quit claim deed, in the divorce the judge awarded me sole possession

How do I enforce the judges ruling and make her sign the quit claim deed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Ann Arbor, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If you have an attorney, contact your attorney. S/he will probably bring a "motion" in court before the same judge who granted your divorce to require your ex-wife to sign the quit claim deed on the property in question. You may want to look at your judgment of divorce to see if it includes language to require each of you to sign any documents necessary to give the other party clear title to property s/he received in the divorce. If that language is there (and if you have an attorney, it probably is), you will probably win your motion unless your ex-wife has a good reason for not signing the quit claim deed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.