My son is 13 and wants to live with me does he have any rights?

More details:

My ex and I agreed in mediation because at the time I could not afford atty. It has been 3 YEARS I get him every spring and summer and I believe his father is possibly abusing drugs and is hard on my child he also says rude things about me to him and I want him here with me my financial situation is better and he has siblings here with me he lives in oregon

You can follow answers to this question by subscribing by e-mail.

Answer this Question

Vincent J. Bernabei

Answered 2 years ago

Yes your son has rights. If you were to file a motion to modify custody and/or parenting time, your son could request that the court appoint an attorney to represent his interests. A child's preference on where he wants to live is an important consideration that the court will take into account.