I received a summons for an upaid medical bill. The bill is less than $1500. What are my options?

You can follow answers to this question by subscribing by e-mail.

Answer this Question

Rachel Lea Hunter

Answered 2 years ago

Try to settle for 50% or as little as possible if you have the funds to pay in a lump sum. If you do not have the funds, then see if the lawyer for the hospital will put you on the "easy payment plan" and let you pay $100 a month until the debt is repaid.

Of course, this assumes this is your debt and that there are no valid defenses (like the statute of limitations) or other issues. If there are, then you may want to consult an attorney who specializes in collection/credit card defense/FDCPA violations. Pay him/her to review the complaint and advise you of your best options. Some attorneys may also help you to settle the debt for a fee.