Macon, GA asked in Collections for Georgia

Q: I took out a payday loan and can no longer make the payments. Now I am being harassed, intimidated and threats of suit.

Someone called on behalf of the creditor saying I wrote a fraudulent check, which I didn't and that they are going to serve papers to my employer. Can they do this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Cary, NC
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: No. Go to my website - I wrote a brief article on this:

GA has a law - payday lenders have to comply with the law if they want to be able to collect their higher rates. Few lenders bother to comply with the GA Industrial Loan Act. Payday loans made in violation of the law are illegal.

Sounds like you may be dealing with an overseas lender or maybe a tribal lender. If so, the chances of them suing you is small to nonexistent as by doing so they would implicate themselves in the commission of a crime.

Your employer is only served with papers if the lender would sue you and recover a judgment. In that case, the judgment could be collected by wage garnishment and garnishment papers would be served on your employer. However, legal action against someone is not started by filing anything with your employer. The lender is trying to scare and intimidate you. Don't be intimidated.

And stay away from payday loans. They are always a bad deal.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.