You can follow answers to this question by subscribing by e-mail.

Answer this Question

Beverly L. Cohen

Answered 2 years ago

Generally, the only place to find a pro bono lawyer is through a program such as Legal Aid, Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers, or a program through the bar association in the county where you live. If you live in Cherokee County, I suggest you contact the local bar association to find out if they have a list of attorneys who take pro bono cases. Many lawyers do take pro bono cases but usually only on a case by case basis and after the attorney has met with the client and determined that the person is in desperate need of representation but cannot afford an attorney. Most attorneys who take pro bono cases also limit the number of such cases they handle at any one time or within a certain period of time. For most attorneys, practicing law is not a hobby. Attorneys have bills to pay just like everyone else but their bills do not get paid if the attorney does not get paid.