Savannah, GA asked in Child Custody for Georgia

Q: Do I have to get permission from the non-custodial parent to move out of the State of Georgia?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Beverly L. Cohen
Beverly L. Cohen
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Roswell, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: In Georgia, you do not need permission from the non-custodial parent to move out of state. However, you do have to give the non-custodial parent notice of your intention to move at least 30 days prior to the move as well as the new address where the child will be living and the new telephone number where the child can be reached. Although not required, it is also a good idea to work out a new schedule for visitation prior to the move.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.