Ogden, UT asked in Juvenile Law for Utah

Q: Is it legal for a 16 and 21 year old to date in Utah?

Me (I'm 16) and a 21 year old want to be together but don't want to get into any legal trouble.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Russell Pietryga
Russell Pietryga
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Utah Code 76-5-401.2 prohibits a person person from having any sexual conduct with a minor if, the person is 10 or more years older than the minor. The 21 year old is less than 10 years older than you. So, as long as, the sexual conduct is consensual the 21 year old cannot get charged with a crime. Hope this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.