Duck Creek Village, UT asked in Constitutional Law for Utah

Q: How do I go about getting our local fire board to follow the Freedom of Information Act?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zaven Andranik Sargsian
Zaven Andranik Sargsian
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: If the local fire board is, as you say, "local" then you should consider requesting information by using a GRAMA request ("Government Records Access Management Act"), rather than a FOIA. GRAMA can in some ways be thought of as the Utah state-level equivalent of FOIA. More information on GRAMA can be found in Utah Code annotated title 63G, chapter 2.

GRAMA requests (or FOIA requests for that matter) can be complicated. You should consider speaking with an attorney.

Please note that the above is legal information and not legal advice, which is the application of law to an individual’s specific circumstances. In addition, the information does not constitute, nor does it create, an attorney-client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.