Atlanta, GA asked in Divorce for Georgia

Q: How do I file for divorce from someone who is in jail.

We both live in GA. I am in Douglas County. He is in jail in Hancock County. We have been separated since 2009. We have children but they are in the custody of my sister to whom I pay child support. I am at a loss as to how and where to begin this process.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Stephen Klein
David Stephen Klein
  • Augusta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Begin by finding a divorce attorney. S/he should start by asking your spouse to sign uncontested papers. If that does not work, a contested divorce gets filed. Your divorce attorney will be able to get you a divorce regardless of your spouses incarceration.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.