Pembroke, GA asked in Family Law for Georgia

Q: My brother is 18 and is still in high school and is being claimed as a dependent by our father. can he legally move out?

He doesnt wish to live with my father any longer, but has 1 year in highschol left.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Beverly L. Cohen
Beverly L. Cohen
  • Roswell, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: It’s not a question of whether he can legally move out but where he will live and who will support him if he does. If his mother is in the picture, then he could certainly go to live with her. She would also have the right to child support for his final year of high school. Whatever happens, he needs to remain in school until he graduates.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.