Lexington, TN asked in Family Law for Tennessee

Q: What can i do to get custody back of my children from my ex if they have been living with me the whole time in tennesse

My children are 12 and 8 and when my youngest was born me and ther daddy was going through some stuff and i give his mother tem custody but the children have been living with me in tennessee the whole time with me and my new husband. please tell me what i need to do please.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kimberly K. Schreiber
Kimberly K. Schreiber
  • Memphis, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If you have lived in Tennessee for at least 6 months you can file a petition for custody here. The grandmother with temporary custody will have to be notified and she has the right to show up and contest your petition. She also has to be properly served.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.