Columbus, GA asked in Divorce for Georgia

Q: Did my husband file a fraudulent child support worksheet and if so, what can I do?

He reported income that I had not received since a year prior and at the time I had no income. Then his lawyer changed the court date and I didn't receive the notice until the afternoon of the court date which had been that morning, meaning I didn't show up, he got full custody, and I was ordered to pay almost $800 a month off income I was not receiving. Was this illegal or fraudulent and if so, what can I do? I'm already several months behind because I still have no income and can't pay it!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Stephen Klein
David Stephen Klein
  • Augusta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Need more info. Judges usually rely on Domestic Relations Financial Affidavits to determine income for child support, and the income from the affidavits (which must be filed by husband and wife) get transposed onto the child support worksheets. It sounds like you were pro se. Were you? Depending upon when this all happened, you may be able to appeal, OR you may need to file a modification action. In any event, GET A LAWYER ASAP.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.