Sharon, WI asked in Criminal Law for Wisconsin

Q: I was arrested for a owi and the police took my moms car? How can we get it back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jeff Hughes
Jeff Hughes
  • Milwaukee, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: A DA may resolve the DUI case without mentioning the forfeiture of the car. However, this does not mean the DA will not seek to keep the car - regardless if it is the person arrested or not. They may claim it is an instrumentality of a crime.

In situations such as these, hiring a DUI defense lawyer will help improve your chances of getting the car back sooner as well as potentially reducing fines and penalties if it was your first arrest.

The best advice when dealing with a DUI/OWI arrest is to be proactive with the courts. Proactive responses to the will be seen favorable in the eyes of the court.

Hope this helps. Let us know if we can help you in any other way.

-Good Luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.