Can a child say if they want to stop visitation with the non custodial parent at 14?

You can follow answers to this question by subscribing by e-mail.

Answer this Question

Paula J. Mcgill

Answered 2 years ago

A child of 14 can voice his desires to a judge or guardian ad litem if a petition to modify visitation is filed with the court. However, the child cannot simply stop seeing the noncustodial parent. If this is done, the custodial parent may be blamed and found to be in contempt of the visitation order.