Manchester, TN asked in Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: Can you be charged with escape if officers leave the bullpen doors and hallway doors unlocked and you walk out?

My fiancé was waiting to see the judge and the court officers took his shackles and cuffs off of him only. Then they left the bullpen and hallway doors unlocked, and also left the holding area. He was unguarded and walked out. Now he is being charged with escape and evading arrest. Can they do this by law?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tawanda Williams
Tawanda Williams
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Memphis, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Regardless of the lapse in judgment on the Officers part, if you are being detained for any reason with our without restraining devices, you are committing a crime by attempting to leave. Your fiance was clearly aware that he was in custody, so its no defense that the Officers removed his shackles, cuffs, and left doors open. Your fiance was properly charged with escape.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.