Marianna, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: I have bipolar disorder and my family has told me that I'm not allowed to live on my own. What are my rights.

My family is abusive towards me and have threatened to send me to a mental institution, just because we have fights! I am so unhappy living with them, what can I do so that I can have my own place away from them. And what can I do to stay out of a mental hospital?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Oxalis Bianca Garcia
Oxalis Bianca Garcia
  • Clearwater, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Unless you have been deemed incompetent by a Court of Law, you have the same rights as anyone else, meaning you can live on your own. If you have been deemed incompetent, you can fight it and request the court to find you competent and restore all of your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.