South Jordan, UT asked in Animal / Dog Law for Utah

Q: My ex and i broke up, He has a dog, and he hardly takes care of him. Is there anyway i can fight to own his dog?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cory Hundley
Cory Hundley
  • South Jordan, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Very unlikely. Animals are generally considered personal property and you will not likely be able to get legal ownership by claiming abuse or neglect. However, animal cruelty is a crime and you may have a chance of convincing your ex to give you the dog by threatening to report the neglect to animal control. However, if you do report the neglect, it is more likely that the animal will be removed from his possession and taken to a shelter. You may or may not have the option to take ownership.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.