Carrizozo, NM asked in Land Use & Zoning for New Mexico

Q: I keep having people from the electric, gas company etc. trample trees, shrubs and removing no/ trespass signs, can I do

I keep having people from gas company, electric company and construction company trample trees and shrubs without permission. have posted before but they remove them and do it anyway....what can I do? please help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ms. Lee Boothby
Ms. Lee Boothby
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Taos, NM
  • Licensed in New Mexico

A: You need to take action at the time you know it happens. Log the date, write down what they did and photograph the damage. Then send a demand letter to the company that is destroying your property or stealing your sign and tell them to cease and desist and that if they continue you will file a lawsuit against them in Magistrate Court. You can also just write the utiltity companies directly with your proof and submit a claim to them for the damage they have done. Obviously keep copies of everything you send. I assume the utilities have easements. I don't know why a construction company is coming on your property. If its because a neighbor is having something built then you need to send a letter to the neighbor and the construction company, putting them on notice of what is going on and that you demand that it cease or you will file a lawsuit in Magistrate Court for your damages. You can do that yourself.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.